What Their Customers Are Saying

?

All testimonials are provided and verified by Select Home Warranty. Verified testimonials on Pissed Consumer is a paid feature of the platform.

Salesman

Select Home Warranty
I am bad about names but, the salesman was very knowledgeable and customer oriented. I went with the 5 year plan and added another property. Time will tell if the company is as good as he claims,

Select Home warranty

Select Home Warranty
I received a call from your representative. He was very thorough in explaining your product. I asked several questions about competitors and he was able to explain all the differences. I was a bit skeptical, but he gave what I considered to be positive information on the coverage. I hope it is all he says! I gave a 3 in that area only because I don’t know yet.

New enrollment

Select Home Warranty
I was looking for a home warranty, have shop all companies but only found select home waranty has the best and affordable plans.
Select Home Warranty's reply to:

Not supplying what they agreed

The consumers fixture claim determination was made in accordance to their warranty terms and conditions. They have been serviced accordingly.

Verified Reviewer

\No that is a lie, it was never sent or email. The time of purchase of the home was May 31st not May 18th.

We were still querying about the policy at that time I can show and prove that there was a string of email with the agents asking for the policy. She finally emailed a generic sample THAT WAS NOT the future policy.

My client wants a refund. Pure and simple. This company needs to do refund.

I checked out the plumber they send and there are several complaints that he gauges the customer if they have a warranty. I have communicated this to Select home warranty and they do not CARE.

There is a problem here and they should address it.

style="background-color:

Refund my customer!! Louise

User's recommendation: Do not use this warranty company.

Select Home Warranty's reply to:

They are a scam, they take your money and do not cover anything

The consumer was sent a copy of their warranty agreement at the time of purchase. In addition, the consumer was able to view our terms and conditions on our website at all times pre and post purchase.
The consumers claim determination was made in accordance to their warranty terms and conditions. They have been serviced accordingly.

Verified Reviewer

First we never saw the fine print. or the warranty in writing.

We asked for it but it was never send. We went ahead and bought it because the rating was above 9, it sounded like a good company. My client had a plumbing valve that went bad . It needed to be replaced.

Select home warranty only covers $400 for this kind of repair, the plumber that came is charging $800.This is also after my client had to pay him $100 service charge fee. Spend hours on the phone trying to get this repaired and basically my client has NO WARRANTY . They take your money call someone to fix it ad covers very little if anything and client has to pay for the difference. The purpose of a warranty is to have coverage in case something happens.

But Select covers so little (contrary to what their promotion says) might as well not to have one. I have dealt with "other Warranty company" and yes there is a service charge but they do fix whatever is wrong without having to pay in addition to the technician.

This is a scam not a warranty company. Louise Realtor from Flori

User's recommendation: run away they take your money and do not fix anything, it is a scam.

Failure to fullfil agreement

The consumers claim determinations were made in accordance to their warranty terms and conditions. They have been serviced accordingly.

Verified Reviewer

In April 2021 my wife purchased a two (2) year home warranty with Select Home Warranty. She was very specific in making sure the sales person knew we had purchased a 40 + year old home which included a pool, and made sure include the pool in the warranty agreement.

In that we were unaware of any maintenance completed on any of the items to be covered and had no maintenance records from the previous owner she purchased the Executive VIP Membership that shows NO Maintenance records are required for service.

On May 9th I found the pump motor and pump impeller had locked up and the pool was starting to turn green due to lack of circulation. I attempted to contact Select Home Warranty but after an extensive amount of time on hold I hung up. Several attempts were made to make a claim on the Select Home Warranty claims website http://www.selecthomewarranty.com/submitclaim but info would not transmit. I made the decision to make contact with several pool services in the area to make repairs.

The only company that could make repairs within a reasonable period of time stated they had an opening on Friday, 5/13/22, and could replace the motor and pump. I scheduled the repairs and continued to attempt to make contact with Select Home Warranty. Finally, on 5/12/22, an attempt was made to contact Ian (sales rep for Select Home Warranty) with no response as well. Finally, late on 5/12/22 I got an answer on the phone with Selects Customer Service.

The conversation was difficult due to the customer service rep speaking with a very strong accent, but I explained the issue and that an appointment had been made with a company that could/would make the repairs the next morning. I received two (2 emails from Select. 1st stating, they had received the claims report and a 2nd stating they were unable to get a service provider so I could make contact with one myself (which had already happened).

On 5/13/22, the repair service provider showed as scheduled, made the repairs, and then spoke with a representative of Select Home Warranty to explain service provided. Again, the conversation was lengthy due to the Select Warranty rep spoke with a very strong accent making communication difficult.

Once the repairman concluded his conversation, I was told by the Select rep that the repairs would not be covered for any amount because I had contacted a repair service on my own and the repair man stated there was some corrosion and rust on the items being repaired. I subsequently received an email stating the claim would not be covered due to corrosion and rust. My response to Select Warranty was they were unable to find a repair service, so I did; and that I found it quite humorous that the claim was denied due to a piece of equipment that was covered as an addition to this policy that operates outside in the weather and is designed to move water. I let them know if the invoice forwarded to them was not paid within 30 days (as stated in the agreement as part of the reimbursement process) that I would pursue other avenues.

A canned email reply from Select was received to my comments stating they would have an answer within 24 hours.

No communication has been received from Select sine that email on 5/13/22.

I really dont expect Select to honor the warranty but wanted it on the record and available to anyone that does their homework by checking with various complaint websites and will know the issues they can look forward to before spending their money on what I consider a waste of money. Better to set up a savings account each month to handle such cost.

User's recommendation: Do not purchase.

Horrible experience

ID
Pros
  • Low cost for plan
Cons
  • Terrible coverage
  • Nothing but a run around
  • Customer service and lenght of time

Verified Reviewer

Innumerable calls resulted in a "run around" over and over. We had a refrigeration unit go bad.

The first five calls resulted in "we can't find a technician. Find your own". Finally (3 weeks later) they found a technician who came out. Repairs will be at least $1500.

We replaced the unit and sent the invoice to SHW. Their total coverage will be $275. What a joke. Trying to get our money back ---and of course we have had no response; our request is probably lost in a black hole somewhere.

And the sales person, who of course was so helpful in the beginning:

"If for some reason you do not receive the service your expected please email or call me. It was truly a pleasure dealing with you and if there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to ask" has not returned calls or answered emails, and shoveled us off to customer service the one time we got through to him.

An absolute nightmare, and so sorry we ever looked in to this company. It is a hard sell scam

User's recommendation: AVOID.

$193496

Verified Reviewer
Select Home Warranty - I am a single legally blind senior who was scammed by SHW. They say they will provide technicians, but I have been waiting over a month now. They did say that I could get my own and then pay them.

I am a single, legally blind female senior who recently purchased a new home. New to the area, and not knowing any reputable plumbing, electric or HVAC companies, I purchased a home warranty from Select Home Warranty (SHW) company.

After the warranty period began, I called SHW about a problem with my hot water heater. I went through the claim process and after a week of waiting for a technician, I received an email from SHW stating they could not find a technician and I needed to find my own. I did not know about the reimbursement option, and no one I talked to as SHW explained it to me either. I had to pay the cost myself.

I had been "covered" by the SHW "warranty" for less than a year and they left me to fend for myself. I felt that I had been scammed out of $1934.96 ("warranty price") and all I got for my money was excuses and no resolution whatsoever.

I contacted SHW again about a warranty issue. On Monday May 16th I called because I was having a plumbing issue. After my phone call with the manager, I received an email to call the "escalations team".

On Thursday May 26, called and spoke with Nicholas. We discussed cancelling my policy and getting a refund. He then proceeded to tell me that he did not have a computer to send me information about a refund to me. He could talk to me but could not send me anything in writing.

Nicholas did tell me he would have billing send me the refund information.

I received an email from Ron Smith a "manager in the executive customer relation department", to call him. I returned his call Friday May 27. From the beginning Mr. Smith was aggressive, rude and kept trying to bullying me by interrupting me and talking over me.

I asked him what SHW would pay as a refund of my policy. I asked for that information in writing. Mr. Smith told me that he could tell me about the numbers over the phone but not in writing, he said that the billing department could only provide those number and his would be an estimate.

I asked him to send me the estimate via email and he agreed.

I have not received any information regarding my cancellation/refund options and no technician has been sent to my house to work on my plumbing issue.

This has been almost a month. NO DO

User's recommendation: do not waste your money or nerves with this company they are horrible and if not illegal, unethical!

Select Home Warranty's reply to:

This company tells you they will replace an appliance if they cannot repair it in their sales pitch--not true

ID
Cons
  • Deceptive business practices
Replace the dryer

Verified Reviewer

They will only pay the depreciated value of the appliance. Deceptive practices.

I have never heard of such. It took 19 days to get a service repair appointment.

I was without a dryer for that long, then SHW wants to pay $125 to replace it. DECEPTIVE PRACTICES!

User's recommendation: DON'T BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!

Select Home Warranty's reply to:

Good luck getting reimbursed for anything!

The customers claim determination was made in accordance to their warranty terms and conditions. They have been serviced accordingly.

Verified Reviewer
Select Home Warranty - Good luck getting reimbursed for anything!

I purchased Select Home Warranty because I had tenants at the time and my well pump went out. I was looking for a home warranty company that supposedly covered well pumps and Select claims they do.

I had them for almost two years and put in a claim for my air conditioner which stopped working. Select sent out the worst contractor who said all my air conditioner needed was Freon, which of course, was not covered. I paid out of pocket and my air conditioner still was not working. I called several times and no one came out.

It was Winter so I let it go for a couple of months. In March I called and they sent a Sears technician out. He claimed my unit was t working because of rodent damage which was not normal wear and tear, therefore is not covered. The technician said that he replaced some wires and that it was working and we would be billed.

We were not billed and the air conditioner never worked. I called Select again and they told me to get my own technician which I did. He said the unit was not working because the compressor (a covered item) was not working and actually caused a fire in the fuse box which broke the thermostat as well. It cost me almost $1100.

I sent the report to Select Home and they refused to pay. They called me when I reported them to the BBB but would not resolve the issue. I found a Facebook group that says Select Home wont pay for anything and is just a big scam. I have since cancelled my policy.

Oh, Select will charge you $75 to cancel. I refused to pay that.

User's recommendation: Don’t buy any Home Warranty. Put the money you would pay each month away in an account for repairs.

Ac out still no help

The consumer has spoken with a claims representative on 6/8/22. If additional assistance is needed we advise that the consumer contact our office and speak with a customer service agent.
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Verified Reviewer

no help when called no help when called no help when called no help when called no help when called no help when called

Waiting for refund

The consumers claim determination has been made in accordance to their warranty terms and conditions. They have been serviced accordingly.

Update by user May 26, 2022

Not a happy camper. Waiting too long for promised reimbursement. Nothin was done at house without company promise to reimburse

Original review posted by user May 26, 2022

My air conditioner went out last year in September. Contacted Select Home Warranty and they claim that they did not have a representative in my area and for me to go ahead and get my own technician.

They sent an email that said they allow up to $100 for that. My technician charged $85. Sent that claim to be reimbursed did not receive anything at that time. They okayed the circuitboard that had shorted out to be installed by my technician.

The total bill on that was $368.12 . When they installed it tried to get my air conditioning unit go on they realized or found that a gas valve had gone bad. Contacted them again the estimate was $763 to replace the valve. Company said they would only pay $250.

I told him that that would not do and after we talk back-and-forth two or three times they agreed to purchase the valve and send a valve to me to have installed by my technician. The technician installed it and I was told I would be reimbursed for what I had paid out-of-pocket. Total of the three times of my technician came out and serviced my air conditioner was $568.23. They sent me a check for $328.

When contacting them they said that was not the final but I had another email coming for the additional charge for additional reimbursement. Contacting them again I have been lied to over and over and over again by the technicians actually their representatives. They continue to promise that theyre going to send me an email for me to sign and send back so they can send me the additional funds. I latest encounter with them was two weeks ago.

They promised that that email would be to me within 48 hours.

Again A lie Ask for CEOs name and number so I can contact him. I need to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau and federal trade commission as well as the real estate commission to let them know that this company does not stand behind their warranty or their promises.

User's recommendation: Do not buy at this time.

Contact Select Home Warranty Customer Service

Phone:
(855) 267-3532
Contact Select Home Warranty Customer Service

Latest Question

Do you have to have all your appliances inspected once a year before Select will warrantee them

Select will warrantee them? I recently had an air-conditioner go out and select denied my claim because I hadn’t had it serviced this year so I was wondering if all the appliances like the washer dryer fridge Hot water heater...

Nothing is actually covered

All of the consumers claim determinations were made in accordance to their warranty terms and conditions. They have been serviced accordingly.

1. Free roof coverage.

It is complete BS and is worthless in every way. I called to request a claim. They sent a "person" who not only did not get on the roof but did not even get on a ladder at all. It was a drive by at best and based upon that crap alone denied my claim.

They will never pay a claim.

2. It took almost 3 weeks to get them to send a plumber to deal with an issue in my condo. In the meantime, the problem caused damage and continued to get worse. Then, just to spite me even more, they denied the claim.

Seriously, what good is a warranty company that takes 3 weeks to provide service and denies every claim. I could have hired a plumber and paid the same in 20 less days.

3 I filed a claim over a broken ceiling fan.

To purchase a replacement fan and get it installed cost me 220 dollars, and they paid me 45 dollars. Seriously, in what world can u buy a nice one and have it installed for 45 dollars.

User's recommendation: Stay away from this *** show and find a legitimate warranty company that pays claims fairly and actual has English speaking customer service.

Waste of time!

Verified Reviewer

These people took my money ($42) a month for about two years knowing full well they had no plumber available in my area. When I finally had a leaky kitchen line under my house, they had me waiting for two weeks before telling me to call my own plumber.

I was lucky enough to find a free estimate company and have him call Select with a diagnosis which was denied the next day (Select Said) due to rust and corrosion which I did not hear my plumber say over the phone. I called the plumbing company to verify what was said and sure enough they did not say that.

Select Home Warranty's reply to:

Select Home Warranty will NOT cover replacements or Repairs.

The customers claim determinations were made in accordance to their warranty terms and conditions. They have been serviced accordingly.
Service
Select Home Warranty Claim
$2000

Verified Reviewer

Select Home Warranty Is a complete ripoff. I got the 3 year package from them their low Service charge of $60 may seem worth it but they make you pay in the long run.

Aside from getting the majority of my claims denied the claims that they do approve you have to come out of pocket with 50% or more of the cost of a repair or replacement. They will always find a way to say something isn't covered.

I had a service call for a Busted clogged drain line and they only gave me $250 of the $600 cost. Their excuse was that, get this "the plumber was using a tool that was not covered in the warranty and i had to pay out of pocket for the tool" would you believe that?

My 2nd refrigerator went bad, luckily i had another because it took them 4 months to cut me a $200 check to put towards a NEW refrigerator.

Had the transformer for my doorbell go out they Denied the claim said the doorbell was out side of the house... The doorbell itself yes..

the transformer....Mmmm not so much.

This company is a complete Rip OFF...not locking yourself into long term contracts with this company....

The Customer Service is horrible...They lied to me to the point they said my was approved and it was ok to call the technician and tell him he can come out. i asked them to call with the technician on 3 way (because iv been through this before) they called but would not click over so i can hear lol. So yea.. It wasn't approved and the technician could not come out until 2 days later because it takes 24-48 hours for approval...

I would suggest not to use this company at all. Iv seen better service at Waffle House on a late Saturday night, at least Walmart will give you refunds...

Service
Select Home Warranty Claim
Cons
  • Biggest scam
Pay for washer replacement

Update by user Mar 15, 2022

They will not replace my washer

Original review posted by user Mar 15, 2022

Bought 3- year policy. Big mistake!

Bought on 1/16/22 filed a claim 2/21/22 washer would not drain.

So thought ok have policy so we are good.

Well repairman came 3/15/22 said it was no repairable! Just great, but we have that warranty, right? Well they said they will not replace it because its not over 30 day ?

Bought on 1/16/22? No for replacement you have to have the policy for 30 days after the first 30 days?

So instead of wording it to say 60 days they word it so think your covered but your not!

Bunch of liars!

Never had a company like this never will again! Save your money tell them to stick it!

User's recommendation: Never ever buy a select home warranty.

Select Home Warranty's reply to:

Not doing service I paid lots of money warranty to do!!!!!

A technician has been dispatched to the consumers home. They will be contacting them shortly to schedule an appointment.
Product
Select Home Warranty Warranty
Preferred solution
A plumber service thru warranty that I paid for !!!!

Update by user Mar 09, 2022

No progress been pending for over a month

Original review posted by user Mar 09, 2022

Been waiting over a month for select home warranty co to find me a plumber!!! Keep getting the runaround company told me to get my own plumber so why and the *** did I pay you for !!!!

User's recommendation: Don't get the warrant use another company don't use select home warranty.

Select Home Warranty's reply to:

Disappointing experience and waste of money

Preferred solution
Just let tech's show and evaluate and then decide if it is covered.

Verified Reviewer

I submitted two claims both declined based on a lay person's description, of service required their favorite go to is 9.1.2 exclusions to coverage I understand if tech shows up and verifies the 9.1.2 exclusion the cost would have been on the contract holder as a service call fee. Let me also say I paid up front for this policy in full.

User's recommendation: stay away from this company.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article